Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Golf Industry Show

The current condition of the golf course remains the same as it has for the past 5 weeks, covered in snow. Yesterday I dug through the snow on the greens and I am happy to report a very minimal slushy ice layer on some greens and zero ice layer on other greens. This weeks weather is going to complicate things with warm weather and rain switching back to cold and snow all in 48 hours. I will continue to monitor the snow pack for ice at the greens surface.

I had the opportunity to attend the Golf Industry Show last week in San Antonio, Texas. The show consists of two parts, educational seminars and the largest turf related trade show in the world. This years conference was attended by close to 13,000 individuals and exhibitors. I focused my seminars for this years conference on bunkers, turf fertility, and technology. My seminar on bunkers was very important considering many of our capital improvements are related to bunker renovations. I was able to learn about many different construction and liner methods along with maintenance practices. Turf fertility is a focus of mine for 2015 to reduce spending while increasing the health of the turf and provide great surfaces. As a result of this seminar we will be sending samples of our clippings from greens on a bi-weekly basis to a lab for analysis. I will only provide nutrients based on what is lacking in the turf plant itself, very exciting technology. Continuing on the technology front I took a seminar focusing on using Google drive and tablets in the field to help compile data ranging from stimpmeter readings, fuel consumption, and labor tracking. The trade show was over 120,000 sq ft filled with every item revolving around the turf industry. I meet with vendors and manufactures to discuss and view upcoming capital equipment purchases as well as new trends in the industry especially with irrigation.

Here is a clip from morning drive on the golf channel about the golf industry show http://www.golfchannel.com/media/sights-and-sounds-golf-industry-show/

No comments:

Post a Comment